Excavation Earth is a board game designed by David Turczi and published by Mighty Boards. In the game, players take on the role of rival alien factions competing to collect valuable artifacts from Earth before the planet is destroyed.
Each player has a team of specialist aliens with unique abilities, and must use them strategically to collect artifacts, trade with human factions, and overcome various obstacles. The game features a modular board that changes every time you play, making each game a unique experience.
Excavation Earth has received positive reviews for its engaging gameplay, clever mechanics, and immersive theme. It is suitable for 2-4 players and takes around 90-120 minutes to play.
During each turn in Excavation Earth, players take the following steps:
- Assign Specialists: Players take turns assigning their specialist aliens to different locations on the board. Each specialist has a unique ability that can be used to collect artifacts, trade with humans, or sabotage other players.
- Activate Locations: Once all players have assigned their specialists, locations on the board are activated in turn order. Each location has a different action associated with it, such as collecting artifacts, gaining credits, or sabotaging opponents.
- End of Turn: At the end of their turn, players can choose to sell artifacts for credits or keep them for end-game scoring. They can also trade with human factions or use their specialist abilities to gain an advantage.
- Cleanup: At the end of each round, players discard any unused cards and prepare for the next round.
The game continues in this way until the end-game condition is met, which is triggered when a certain number of artifacts have been collected. At that point, players tally their scores based on the artifacts they have collected, the credits they have earned, and any other bonuses they have accumulated throughout the game. The player with the most points is declared the winner.
Excavation Earth features several game mechanics that work together to create a unique and engaging gameplay experience. Here are some of the key mechanics:
- Worker Placement: Players use their specialist aliens to collect artifacts and perform various actions on the board. Each specialist has a unique ability that can be used strategically to gain an advantage.
- Modular Board: The game features a modular board that changes every time you play, providing a fresh and dynamic experience.
- Resource Management: Players must manage their resources carefully, deciding when to sell artifacts for credits, when to trade with human factions, and when to use their specialist abilities.
- Set Collection: Players collect artifacts throughout the game, with different sets of artifacts earning different point values at the end of the game.
- Sabotage: Players can use their specialist abilities to sabotage their opponents, adding a layer of strategy and player interaction to the game.
- End-Game Scoring: At the end of the game, players tally their scores based on their collected artifacts, credits, and any bonuses they have accumulated throughout the game.
Overall, Excavation Earth’s mechanics work together to create a challenging and immersive game that rewards strategic thinking and careful planning.
Excavation Earth is an engaging game that requires players to balance their strategies and make tactical decisions. With its clever mechanics and immersive theme, it is sure to delight sci-fi fans and board game enthusiasts alike.